Saturday, February 12, 2011

Quick Introduction and some new pics

Hey everyone :)  I wanted to make a quick introduction to any new people stopping by the blog!  I know this site is starting to be shared with doctors and pediatricians offices (for newly diagnosed parents) so I thought it might be time to say hello!  My name is Cassie, I'm 26, live in CT and I work as a scientist- although don't mistake me for an expert on Cystic Fibrosis because I'm not haha.  My husband is Robb, he's 31 and works as a graphics and web designer for a furniture store.  We both had our first son, Charlie, August 28, 2010 and he weighed in at 9lb 3oz (big dude!).  We found out about his Cystic Fibrosis when he was 2 weeks old, it was discovered on his PK screen (the heel prick they do at the hospital- the blood sample they get is screened for over 50 genetic diseases). 

As a sidenote-  we were intially planning a home birth and had to transfer to a hospital for an emergency C section (long story! see the first post for details haha)....but to anyone who is planning a homebirth please know that you can get a PK screen free from the state of Connecticut in the mail.  So just because you're having a homebirth doesn't mean you can't get the PK screen, it's a harmless little heel prick that could prevent a LOT of other types of damage further on down the line- for all types of genetic illnesses.  All you do is send them the blood from the heel prick in the mail (with the information they send you ahead of time) and they'll inform your pediatrician if anything comes up positive.

Anyways we started this blog to share pictures and videos of Charlie to family and friends that live far away and have started adding more details about his Cystic Fibrosis on here as well.  Please don't feel shy to say hello if you're dropping by for the first time- I'd love to hear stories about your child and/or CF as well!  And if you have any questions feel free to email me at CassandraCyr@yahoo.com


Here are some new pictures of Charlie at 5 months- Enjoy!


Sitting up on his own :)


Enjoying some peas and carrots



Looking like a big boy in his jeans!


Having fun playing with Daddy


I have a video too but can't seem to make it upload rightside up....stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment